To ensure that our stakeholders are aware of the J-1 Intern & Trainee regulations, CCI Greenheart has created this summary page to highlight pertinent information about the program.
CCI Greenheart is committed to quality placements with ample opportunity for cultural immersion for J-1 Interns and Trainees. Keeping our host organization and partner stakeholders, as well as our fantastic program participants, apprised of these program regulations is just one way we’re working toward an ever better exchange program.
Department of State Regulations
J-1 Intern/Trainee participants may not be placed:
- In positions that could bring notoriety or disrepute to the Exchange Visitor Program;
- In unskilled or casual labor positions;
- In positions that require or involve childcare or elder care;
- In any kind of position that involves medical patient care or contact;
- In positions that require more than 20 percent clerical or office support work;
- In positions at salons or spas (CCI Greenheart only);
- In positions that involve factory/warehouse rotations (CCI Greenheart only);
- No Hawaiian wedding planning/photography (CCI Greenheart only).
Host Organization Contact Requirements
Host Organizations are required to notify the sponsor if their participants do not arrive, leave before their DS-2019 end date, if there are any changes in the placement conditions, or any emergency situation. Host Organizations may report these to CCI Greenheart by emailing cap(AT)ccigreenheart(DOT)org or calling our office at 1-855-668-5536.
- Sign a completed Form DS-7002 – Training/Internship Placement Plan (T/IPP) to verify that all placements are appropriate and consistent with the objectives of the interns/trainees as outlined in their program applications and as set forth in their T/IPPs.
- Notify sponsors promptly of any concerns about, changes in or deviations from T/IPPs during training and internship programs and contact sponsors immediately in the event of any emergency involving trainees or interns;
- Abide by all federal, state and local occupational health and safety laws;
- Abide by all program rules and regulations set forth by CCI Greenheart, including the completion of all mandatory program evaluations;
- Have sufficient resources, plant, equipment and trained personnel available;
- Provide continuous on-site supervision and mentoring by experienced and knowledgeable staff; and
- Ensure that interns/trainees obtain skills, knowledge, and competencies through structured and guided activities such as classroom training, seminars, rotation through several departments, on-the-job training, attendance at conferences and similar learning activities, as appropriate in specific circumstances.
Host Organizations should review the Host Organization Guide for more information on program requirements.
Participant Contact Requirements
Participants must report the following program information to CCI Greenheart:
- Report Visa Interview date and Flight information via CCI Online prior to arrival (CCI only)
- Validate their program in SEVIS via CCI Online within 7 days of arrival
- Report any changes to their DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement plan or placement conditions
- Request travel authorization from CCI Greenheart for international travel during the program
- Report any threats to their health, safety, and welfare or if any emergency arises
- Complete required program evaluations
Participants should review program requirements and additional information in the Participant Handbook, located in the Resources section of their CCI Online account. Failure to complete any of these communications may result in termination of visa sponsorship, requiring the participant to return home immediately.
Exchange Visitor Rights
Exchange visitors are entitled to the same legal protections as U.S. citizens. Please review the following resources regarding rights and protections of non-immigrant visa holders: