8 Tips for Finding your Volunteering Activity!
By Elyse Voyen, CCI Greenheart Staff
Are you worried that you won’t be able to find a place to volunteer? Take a look at our 8 tips for finding your perfect volunteering activity!
Community involvement through volunteerism is an important part of who we are at Greenheart International as illustrated by our Greenheart Club. Volunteering brings people together from all walks of life in order to make the world a better place. While volunteering is a rewarding experience for everyone involved, finding the perfect place to volunteer can be overwhelming and oftentimes seems impossible. That is why we’ve put together a list of helpful tips for find your perfect volunteering activity!
1. Ask the people closest to you if they know of any volunteering opportunities in your community. Some great people to ask are:
- Host families
- Local coordinators
- High school teachers
- Sports coaches
- Friends at school or from church
2. Do a quick internet search! The internet is an amazing tool with vast amounts of information. Do a little digging online and find out what organizations near you need volunteers.
3. Check out the Greenheart Club’s Helpful Volunteer Websites page. Many of these websites will help you find the right volunteer activity for you.
4. Check out our volunteer opportunity map which outlines various opportunities scattered all across the United States.
5. Don’t get discouraged. If one organization doesn’t work out there will always be more that will!
6. Here’s a list of great places to inquire at for volunteering:
- Animal rescue shelters
- Nursing homes
- Soup kitchens
- Government offices
- Community events (beach and park cleanups, fairs, races, festivals, etc.)
7. Your school may also have opportunities such:
- helping with special ed
- joining a volunteer club such as key or interact club
- helping facilitate a middle school or elementary school event