Individual Immersion Homestays
If you’re interested in the opportunity to participate in a program that focuses exclusively on American culture and home life, while greatly improving your English language skills, this is the program for you.
Participants should feel comfortable with traveling from their home country unaccompanied and be prepared to spend time exploring their host community independently. Host families provide accommodation and all meals taken in the home, but are not expected to entertain the participants, and may often be gone during working hours. Thus, this program is suitable for mature participants who do not require the structure and supervision of an organized group homestay program.
Program does not include airfare and ground transportation; meals and entertainment outside the homestay; personal expenses; and optional activities.
- Room and board with a volunteer American host family
- Orientation provided by the CCI local coordinator
- Support & supervision of a CCI
- Medical and accident insurance
- Airport transfers to/from nearest airport to homestay community
- Invitation letter for the tourist visa, if required
- Language Buddy: gives foreigners the ability to tutor American host families in their native language, while also improving their own English language skills.
- Greenheart Global Citizenship Program: ideal for international students who are passionate about making the world a better place.
What are the requirements?
In order to be accepted to the CCI Independent Homestay Program, an applicant must be:
- At least 16 years old
- Able to communicate in English at a basic conversational level
- Mature enough to feel comfortable traveling alone, being alone during the day, and sight-seeing on their own
- Genuinely interested in the culture of the United States
- Willing to become a member of an American family
- Willing to sign and abide by the CCI Code of Conduct, on the reverse side of the Short-Term Application form
Independent Homestay Programs are available throughout the U.S. Participants may select from one of seven regions listed. Request fulfillment is based upon availability.
- Atlantic Coast: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia or Washington D.C.
- Inter-Mountain: Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, or Wyoming
- Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, West Virginia, or Wisconsin
- Pacific Coast: California, Oregon, or Washington.
- South: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Tennessee
- Southwest: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, or Texas
- Island: Hawaiian Islands. (Generally available only September 1 – June 14. Maximum stay, 4 weeks)
Applications are due to CCI 8 weeks prior to requested arrival.