Teach in South Korea
The application for a Fall 2013 teaching contract in South Korea is NOW AVAILABLE.
Teaching in South Korea offers some of the best benefits packages for English teachers in the world. High salaries, free housing and paid vacation are only some of the many advantages of participating in this Teach in Korea program.
Greenheart Travel has been selected by the South Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and the South Korean National Institute of International Education to offer this program to qualified candidates. All expenses are absorbed by the South Korean government in support of its goals to foster international education and cross-cultural understanding. No teaching experience is required.
Read more about Greenheart Travel participants and their experiences in South Korea.
"I wanted to thank you for all of your help during the EPIK application process. I am now approaching the 6-month mark in Daegu with enthusiasm and excitement. I love my school and Daegu. It's such a great city! Thanks again!" - Lewey Knox, Teach Abroad Participant
- 10 day orientation upon arrival
- Free furnished studio apartment
- Salary of 1.8 - 2.5 million KRW per month (about $1,600 to $2,200 USD, tax-deferred)*, depending on location, experience and qualifications. Save up to $15,000 per year! See Pay Scale Chart
- Approximately 30+ day of paid vacation
- Allowances for flight costs and more are awarded upon beginning and completion of contract totalling approximately $2,570 USD
- Flights to and from South Korea are reimbursed in your first and last month's paycheck
- Severance pay equal to one month's salary
- Step-by-step guidance and support throughout application process, including pre-departure orientation
- National Health Insurance coverage
- No program or application fees
* Based on current exchange rate of 1 USD = 1,132 KRW (Korean Won)
Want to make a positive, long-lasting impact on your community? Is there a great project or idea in your new community that could use funding for further growth? Apply for a Greenheart Grant!
Qualification Requirements (no exceptions)
- Citizen of US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa
- For non-native English speakers: You must have studied in one of the above 7 countries since the 7th Grade (no later)
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- 20-55 years of age
- No criminal record (this includes underage drinking charges, DUI's, misdemeanors, etc), minor traffic offenses are ok
- Strong desire to learn about other cultures
- TEFL Certification (100 hours) OR a Bachelor’s degree in Education, English or Linguistics OR a Master’s degree in any field
| ||INCREASE YOUR SALARY IN SOUTH KOREA |
Read about Greenheart Travel's discounted online TEFL Certification Courseand register!
| ||Read more about the amazing perks of Greenheart Travel's Teach in Korea program in this article that was published in the Chicago Sun-Times. |
- Teach English alongside a South Korean co-teacher
- Assist with development of teaching materials
- Create fun activities for English language learning
- Design lesson plans
- Attend faculty meetings and social events
- Supervise extracurricular and/or sports activities
- 10 day mandatory orientation and training upon arrival (housing and meals are included during this time)
- 22 hours/week classroom instruction time M-F
- 40 hours/week total, including classroom time, lesson planning, etc.
Dates, Duration & Deadlines
There are two program start dates per year.
- Program dates: August 2013 - September 2014
- Program length: 1 year contract (52 weeks)
- Application available: NOW
- Deadline for Round 1 application materials submitted by: May 30, 2013
- U.S. applicants are required to submit an FBI Criminal Record Check
- These checks take 3-4 months to complete, but must also be within 6 months of your start date, so applicants should ideally request an FBI Criminal Record Check in February or March
- Program dates: February 2014 - March 2015
- Program length: 1 year contract (52 weeks)
- Application Available: Late September/Early October 2013
- Deadline for Round 1 Application Materials: November 15, 2013
- U.S. applicants are required to submit an FBI Criminal Record Check.
- These checks take 3-4 months to complete, but must also be within 6 months of your start date, so applicants should ideally request an FBI Criminal Record Check in August or September
Teaching placements are available in urban and rural locations throughout South Korea. Most placements are in secondary schools (grades 7-12), though primary school placements are also available. Positions fill on a first come, first served basis. All documents must be submitted before an applicant can be considered for a position.
Apply with your spouse! Teachers can apply as a joint application to be placed in the same city or province.
Looking for a short-term teaching opportunity?
If you are interested in short-term teaching opportunities, please check out our Language Exchange Homestay (LEH) program! The LEH program offers full immersion with a host family in France, Belgium, Italy or Thailand in exchange for a few hours of English lessons per week.