Teach in China - Disney English
Are you a college graduate with teaching experience who enjoys international travel and is looking for a life a little less ordinary? Do you enjoy providing an exciting, cultural learning experience for children all while learning about another culture? Teaching with Disney English at one of their many learning centers around China is a great opportunity for native English speakers to gain a solid teaching background while experiencing the rich culture and vast history of one of the world’s earliest civilizations. Disney English centers strive to provide a high level of English proficiency to children aged 2 to 12 through “edutainment” using the Disney characters, stories, songs and animation that adults and kids around the world have grown to love. With the use of this highly interactive and personal teaching style, both students and teachers alike will learn and benefit from this great opportunity for cultural exchange.
Disney English operates learning centers in Shanghai, Beijing, Suzhou, Tianjin, Hangzhou, Ningbo and Nanjing.
Benefits & Compensation
• Start dates year round
• Monthly Salary: commensurate with experience - 10,000-11,000 RMB per month
• Time off: 10 vacation days; 5 sick days; and 11 Chinese holidays
• Monthly Housing Allowance in addition to salary (depends on location): 3,000RMB – 4,350RMB
• One-Time Training Bonus: 7,000RMB (~$1,100 USD)
• Health/Dental Insurance Premium Paid
• Disney English will purchase flight to China and provide a Return Flight Allowance of 420RMB per month (maximum of 5,000RMB toward return flight)
• Online 120 hour TEFL-C certification course provided
• Rosetta Stone course provided
• Opportunity for growth
• Silver pass to Hong Kong Disneyland
Want to make a positive, long-lasting impact on your community? Is there a great project or idea in your new community that could use funding for further growth? Apply for a Greenheart Grant!
• Native English Speaker
• Bachelor’s Degree in any field
• Citizenship in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
• Ability to commit to a 12-15 month contract
• 2 years of teaching experience after completing Bachelor’s Degree (coaching, tutoring, etc. will be considered)
• TEFL/TESOL certificate and/or experience is highly preferred
• Applicants must be flexible about where they are placed
• Creativity and excitement to bring a unique personality to the Disney English classroom including talents in music, art and performing arts
• Open, adaptable, and flexible attitude. Please note that last-minute changes are common in Chinese culture, which may affect your start date and position up until the time you depart
• 40 hours work per week
• Peak times are evenings and weekends – teachers will have their “weekends” during the week
• Become proficient in delivering the Disney English interactive content and comprehensive classroom/home delivery of Disney English including the “on-line” parent portal
• Use scripted printed materials, multimedia and a variety of audio-visual aids. There is emphasis on dialogue, story-telling, singing and role-playing, but more formal exercises, language games and literature are also used
• Participate in outside-of-classroom academic, marketing and Center social events as needed
• Provide private lessons to language learners as required due to learner absences or for learners that are falling behind the class
• Deliver both formal and informal assessments and progress reports throughout the program and keep close oversight on all learner records
• Interact with both parents and language learners in a way that makes language learning fun, engaging and educational
• With local Assistant Trainers, maintain strong communication with parents as to their child’s progress by means of the Teacher/Parent portal and ongoing communication during performances, phone calls and parent/teacher conferences
• General Application
• 1 Letter of Recommendation (from a supervisor of your teaching position)
• Must have two professional references
Have 5+ years of relevant work experience and great leadership and management skills?
Learn more about the additional eligibility requirements for the Language Learning Director positions.
• 5 or more years relevant work experience preferred
• Proven track record in team leadership and staff management
• Exceptional native English pronunciation
• Strong organizational and detail-oriented capabilities
• Creative, self-motivated problem solver who performs well under pressure
• Strong people skills with the ability to continually hire, train and manage staff
• Work with Human Resources to continually identify new local and foreign trainers for the Disney English Center and ensure that new trainers are immersed in the Disney English and broader Walt Disney culture.
• Responsible for professional development of new Trainers and ongoing team building.
• Deliver up to 8 hours per week of ongoing, regularly scheduled classes and additionally substitute for absent trainers based on center needs.
• Constantly monitor child’s progress and customer satisfaction
• Audit classes and review individual Trainer performance
• Conduct on-going academic staff meetings to focus on professional development and resolution of classroom issues with staff and learners.
• Collaborate with the Marketing team and Center Manager to develop and implement academic and sales events within the Center.
• Assist the Content Development team with future academic content based on the immediate results observed within the classroom.
Monthly Salary: 18,000RMB (approx. 2,800USD - varies based on exchange rate)
How to Apply
Please visit our Application Materials page for information on applying.
Looking for a short-term teaching opportunity?
If you are interested in short-term teaching opportunities, please check out our Language Exchange Homestay (LEH) program! The LEH program offers full immersion with a host family in France, Belgium, Italy or Thailand in exchange for a few hours of English lessons per week.